Flower Care – Make Your Flowers Last Longer! –
Proper flower care begins with the timing of your delivery. We recommend you schedule your flowers to arrive 2 to 3 days before the actual event. Since your flowers will be shipped direct from the farms, you will be receiving them at the same stage as a flower wholesaler. So they will probably look different than you are used to purchasing. After they have been properly hydrated and put into a state of suspended animation, they ship in dry packs (usually). It is NORMAL for your flowers to appear sleepy and thirsty on arrival.
With proper care, they can last up to one week or more. A few hours after hydration, they will perk up and look dramatically different.
Follow these simple steps for maximum performance and satisfaction in all our flowers:
1. Carefully unpack flowers from box by cutting any straps. Remove packaging from the stems, but leave any plastic or paper covering the blooms (be sure to loosen it so they can breathe and not trap condensation). Also leave the rubber bands holding the stems together until you are ready to start arranging flowers.
2. Fill clean containers with at least 3 inches of fresh, cool water. If you can get some floral preservative at a flower shop, that will prolong floral life. As an alternative, you can use some Sprite and a few drops of unscented bleach (6-8 drops per gallon) to inhibit bacterial growth.
3. Remove all leaves that will be under the water level. Remember that foliage should never be in contact with water. Leaves left in water will tend to rot and create bacteria that shorten vase life.
4. Cut stems diagonally about half an inch from the base of the stem with sharp scissors or knife.
5. Immediately after cutting, place the stems in the prepared water. The flowers will drink an exceptionally large amount of water upon arrival. Allow flowers at least 4 hours to hydrate well. Some flowers take up to 12 hours to hydrate fully.
6. Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, heat and air vents, television sets or excessive heat. Generally, the cooler the temperature, the slower the flowers will open and the longer their life. Avoid refrigerators or walk-in coolers not specifically designed for flowers.
7. Re-cut the stems about a quarter inch and change the water every one or two days to keep flowers fresh. Clean the vase.
8. Add water as flowers absorb it, or change it thoroughly.
Special Care Instructions
– To maximize the life and beauty of your roses, it is IMPORTANT to follow the previous care tips as well as remove the first layer of protective guard petals. They are normal, and are not a sign of damaged or old flowers. These guard petals were left on to protect your roses during shipping.
– Roses are in bunches of 25 stems, in a two-tier system. If you see only 12 roses at the top of the bunch, don not panic! The others are directly below. Leave the plastic or paper wrap around the heads together until you are ready to start arranging flowers.
– When you arrange the roses, and afterward, feel free to remove any petals that are unsightly. Florists do!
– If your rose bends and looks like it is wilted after using the above steps, remove the rose from vase, fill a small garden tub with water, and cut 1″ off the bottom of rose again and totally submerge your rose in water. Shake the rose under water until air bubbles come out of the rose head.
Oriental Lilies & Asiatic Lilies:
As the blooms open, remove the stamens (little pollen sacks) so that they do not stain the flower, furniture, or clothes once fully opened.
Fresh Rose Petals:
With fresh rose petals you will want to avoid two things: (1) Moisture and (2) Freezing Temperatures. We recommend storing the fresh rose petals in a refrigerator. Keep your eye on them since every refrigerator differs in temperature and humidity. Do not put your rose petals in an area of the refrigerator prone to freezing. If the fresh rose petals look as if they are drying out, remove them from the refrigerator and store them in a cool spot out of sunlight and away from heat (such as in the garage or basement) in the box they came in.
Feel free to call our customer service toll free line 1.800.517.3919 or email us at [email protected] for any special flower care question.